Tuesday 25 December 2012

One quiet atheist . . . and Christmas cracker jokes

I've found it best to keep quiet today, surrounded by a very pleasant family group, and outnumbered 12 to 1.  It is not that I was afraid to give my opinion, but I was polite enough not to.

Even when (or especially when) everyone at the table was supposed to say grace together, as if it was some kind of weird party game, I managed to keep quiet.  I fail to see why some magic spell chanted before eating is any use to anyone.

Christmas lunch brought the usual crop of Christmas crackers with their unbelievable puns.  A few of them seemed worth repeating though.

Q.  Why don't you see penguins in Britain?
A.  Because they are afraid of Wales!

Q.  What do you give a man who has everything?
A.  Antibiotics.  **

Q.  What did the grape do when it got stepped on?
A.  It let out a little wine.

Well . . . that was the standard of my Christmas Day humour.  How was yours?

**  Small note:  The two qualified medics at the table didn't really get this one!

1 comment:

LadyAtheist said...

ahh I remember those! Funny! My family can be fun sometimes but when I visit I don't visit large groups of them. I visit one nuclear element at a time, and the conversation can get rather boring. My generation was rather goofy but the older and younger ones still don't get us.