Saturday 16 March 2013

Things Christians say, part 46: Atheists are responsible for all the world's ills

A (more-or-less) weekly series (although there was a pause for a while) of responses to the things Christians say to atheists, based on the video reproduced here on 30th January 2012.  The aim is to tackle one every weekend, to give both a moderate, polite response to each question ('Piano'), followed by a more forceful rebuttal of the same question ('Forte'). 

Atheists are responsible for all the world's ills


Piano

Isn't it odd that Satan used to have the position of being responsible for the ills of the world.  Have atheists taken over from him?

I know quite a lot of atheists, and although I am sure that there are evil atheists in the world I don't happen to have met any of them yet.  Those who are indeed intent on spreading ills through the world would surely have their work cut out.

After all, there is a lot of competition from the people of all the world's religions.  I venture to suggest that you personally know more bad Christians than I know bad atheists.

***

Forte

Well, if atheists are responsible for ALL the world's ills then there must be a lot of atheists in the Roman Catholic Church and indeed even in the Vatican.

To claim that atheists are responsible for all the world's ills is manifestly mischievous, and indeed, as such, I think it is a self-refuting statement! 


Last episode: Can't you just make yourself believe?




2 comments:

Luciferadi said...

Gosh, with the most generous surveys listing only 20% of Americans (where I live) as "nones" -- no religious affiliation -- and presumably only a fraction of those self-identifying as "atheist," we just don't have TIME to cause all the world's ills. I mean, I suppose I could be doing more, but I haven't even finished my coffee yet.

Plasma Engineer said...

You'd better get on with a lot more evil-doing to make up for the others then. :)